Fire May Hurt You!
Sticks and stones may not break your bones, but fire will hurt you! Think of all the plugs, extension cords, and surge protectors that today's households use to facilitate the use of computers, phone chargers, TVs, and a host of other electronics that we couldn’t have even dreamed of 20 years ago. And with all these electronics, can be the over-utilization of electrical outlets. Older homes were not designed or electrically wired to handle the load of today's electronics. Then, multiply these electronics by the number of people within a home, and the strain on the system becomes exponentially more concerning. The result in many cases: electrical fires. Unlike kitchen fires, electrical fires often “simmer” inside walls without anyone noticing until they combust into a large-scale fire that is already within the infrastructure of the home.
If your outlets spark when you plug appliances or electronics in, this is a problem. If you notice the electrical power in your home arc and dim when electronics are plugged in and out, this too is a sign of electrical weakness. If you smell anything odd and rather metallic in nature, it may be your electrical wiring. Be proactive and have your home checked by a certified electrician if any of these symptoms occur or you notice anything else of concern.
Should the unfortunate occurrence of a fire take place, call SERVPRO of Burke-Clifton-Fairfax Station on (703) 250-6300 for all your fire remediation needs. We are certified, licensed and trained in Fire restoration.